Friday, February 22, 2008

Faludi and Feminism

Maybe I am just not up with the times, or am just not paying that much attention to current events (both are equally possible). But reading some of these examples in these three texts did seem a bit of a stretch to me. Growing up, I rarely ever saw a case of the “oh woe is me” feminine reaction. Quite the contrary, I grew up surrounded by several women both in real life (my aunt & my sister especially) and in TV and Film (Ripley from Aliens & Zoe Washburne from Joss Whedon’s Firefly) and never once did I hear or sense any thoughts or feelings on a society that deems women inferior or weak. The question of how far the Feminist Movement has come has popped up once before on a PSY 102 exam. While I’ll admit that the movement is still ongoing, it has brought women a long way from their social status almost a century ago. Perhaps Faludi should do a new piece that is a little more up to date on the current situation of women both in everyday society and in TV and Film, especially with such heroines as Buffy, Jill Valentine and Claire Redfeild from the Resident Evil Films and Padme Amidala from Star Wars.

No comments: