Sunday, January 27, 2008

TWTSTB

This film was one of the most depressing yet thought provoking and important movie going experiences I have ever had. The film delivers in great detail, the pain and sorrow that Ireland felt during the British occupation. It was clearly easy to side with the Irish during the first half of the film on account of the unacceptable and horrific British brutality. What I saw in the film would have made me want to join the IRA and fight back. But what really hit me the most was the fact that after the long hard struggle to gain independence, the Irish only got a very watered down version of true freedom. It through into my head a quote from Frank Herbert’s Dune Messiah, “Every revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction.” One time allies fighting each other, and more importantly the two principle brothers on opposing sides, it was difficult to watch relationships and achievements built up to that point suddenly take a sharp decline. In the end, this is definitely a film that everyone should see at least once in their lives, an important piece of history that most history classes fail to look at. Watching it a second time…well that is something I can’t do unless forced. It was heart wrenching enough to see again. (good movie though don’t get me wrong).

No comments: