Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Post Against "Against Theory"

I will say flat out that I did not enjoy this piece.  To me the authors were needlessly wordy and complex and they began losing me as soon as they introduced their whole ocean-writing-Wordsworth analogy.  Much like Roger stated in his post, all these hypothetical situations started getting annoying and made me feel as though we were losing ground with reality (or anything worthwhile for that matter); thus, the logic was difficult at times to follow and at others made me not even want to try to follow.  Furthermore they have all this discussion about meaning and authorial intent that just seems pointless as we were taught from the beginning not to assume to know what the author was thinking when he/she wrote the piece we're analyzing.

No comments: