Thursday, April 17, 2008

Against Theory

I completely agree with Shawn. There are a lot of points during class where it seems theories are applied just for the sake of applying them. I believe this article somewhat speaks out on this concept. Theories seem to generalize a lot about different interpretations of a text. It never seems so simple to just say, “you are using feminist theory” or “that’s a psychoanalytical analysis” because it is hard to shape your opinions into one underlying thought process.

To me, the conclusion of the piece seems something worth noting. I disagree somewhat with the authors when it comes to separating pieces. There seems to be too many small details and signs that are available in large texts. I also believe that some things may be separated. However, the authors’ main goal is to have readers regard the piece as the whole. I believe this should always be kept in mind.

No comments: